Thursday, April 19, 2007

Business Etiquette: Is it still being taught in America?

I hate this guy. He is in every airport. He talks loudly. He drives too fast or too slow or keeps his turn signal on too long. Yet, unfortunately, I have to see him every day.

What does this have to do with business etiquette you ask? Plenty, because from my perspective, the cellphone, text messaging, and e-mail are three of the biggest threats to good business etiquette.

Cellphone use: Should cellphones be allowed in class? Should they be allowed in schools, period? How about in a business environment? Let me paint a scenario for you. Please discuss it with your students and get their feedback.

I recently was in my local Target. I turned a corner and came upon two Target employees (I knew they were employees by their red vests and Target name tags.) Both, let me repeat, BOTH were on cellphones, talking. In less than a minute, they were joined by ANOTHER employee, on her cellphone. To your students - is this right or wrong? Is this correct business behavior or is it poor business behavior? If they were the store manager, how would they resolve this?

I've had the unpleasant experience of being waited on by a counterperson, as they talk on their personal cellphone. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. It makes me feel invisible, and I don't like giving them my money. Usually, I resolve to never shop there again. It is not proper business etiquette, and should not be tolerated. Young people need to be taught that personal behavior while in an employment situation reflects on themselves and their employer. Are young employees still being taught what behavior is right and what behavior is wrong in a work environment?

Then there's text messaging and e-mail. Students should understand that business e-mail should not be treated the same way personal text messaging works. Wrds shud be spld out. LOL and cul8tr are generally taboo. Again, they need to understand that e-mail is a business tool and the way they write represents themselves and the company for which they work. The other important aspect of e-mail is the quick response. Many older people in the business hide behind e-mail and do not respond quickly. Teach your students that a quick, professional response is always better than no response or a late response.

Please discuss some of these topics (and other etiquette issues) with your students and let me know what they think. I am interested in hearing from them.

No comments: